Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mason

So after visiting the ER, a neurologist and a cardiologist it appears that the only thing wrong with Mason is having me as his mother. More specifically, having my genetics passed down to him.

The neurologist saw him on monday and basically concluded that he is fine and just passed out. No seizure, no reason to do any tests or to schedule another visit. Great news.

At the cardiologist today, Mason had another EKG done. The doctor also heard a heart murmur and ordered an echo of Mason's heart. It was clear that Mason was a little scared laying on the table during the procedure. I held his little hand and talked to him the whole time and he laid so still and cooperated with the nurse. He is such a trouper. He sure didn't get his bravery from his momma. I credit Fred with that one. Once the test was completed the doctor looked over the results and let us know that it confirmed a heart murmur. However, it is an innocent murmur. Basically that it isn't anything to worry about and he will grow out of it after a few years. Otherwise his heart is just fine. Nothing to worry about and no need for a follow up.

You'd think I'd be totally thrilled to hear this news, which I am. But then I heard both doctors give their basic conclusion of what happened. NowI have to give my mom credit for thinking of this one, and that is that Mason has the same condition I do. Vasovagal Syncope. I can just hear Fred thinking to himself, "Great. As if it wasn't bad enough that my wife has this ridiculous condition, she had to pass it on to my son." Sorry babe. I'm still trying to track down the crackpot in my family who passed it on to me.

It never occurred to me to think of it, mostly because I have no idea what the hell a passed out person looks like. Why? I am usually the one passed out. Apparently you don't close your eyes when passed out. I find that kinda creepy. Anyway, if you don't know what vasovagal is let me explain.

Vasovagal syncope is not a life threatening condition but an abnormal reflex. Bascially your blood pressure drops, speeding up your heart and causing decreased blood flow to the brain resulting in dizziness or fainting. The most common triggers are sight of blood, injury, needles, and going to the bathroom. Pretty much anything that causes severe stress. Symptoms of this condition include, but are not limited to; going pale, unresponsive for less than a minute, sometimes twitching while unresponsive, once regaining consciousness are immediately aware of surrounding and who they are, feeling dizzy or tired for as much as 24 hours afterwards.

Hmm, is it a coincidence that Mason experienced most of these symptoms, or that it occurred while sitting on the potty and me changing a band-aid?

If that didn't convince you, would knowing that I first developed this condition when I was around 2.5 years old do it? I just gained this knowledge the other day. I mean I knew that as a kid I always passed out when getting blood taken (needles) or having shots, or upon seeing a lot of blood and even once after a splinter was removed. But I had no idea it all started just after moving to Herndon. It wasn't until I was in college, though, that I would put a name to my episodes and learn it was indeed a condition. At that point it had progressed into me going into convulsions while passed out. *note: if you were someone who constantly hung out at the Briggs house in high school, remember when I was smacked with the towel and then proceeded to pass out and go into convulsion and you all freaked out. But after I regained consciousness I was fine?* That was a syncope espisode at it's finest.

Knowing he doesn't have some life threatening condition is such a relief but this was definitely not something I wanted Mason to develop. It's not fun having this condition, in fact it's down right annoying as hell. And at times a bit embarrassing. But I am hoping that he will be one of the lucky ones and only have this one episode. Unlike his momma who has had so many over the last 30 years that I have lost track.

Thanks mom for saying, "I hope you have a kid just like you," throughout my childhood. I now have my very own vasovagal, Betty Davis drama queen. The male version.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment