Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Facebook

I follow just a few blogs (21 to be exact, so like I said just a few ;), and today I happened upon Cathy's blog and read this:

"Facebook is the new smoking.  It's a s horribly addicting, time-sucking entity that will eventually drain you of your life force as you fight your family for computer time to update your status with things like, 'going to eat now', or 'Good news! The rash is Not contagious!'."

I immediately laughed my ass off.  Why? Because I know deep down that what she wrote is all too true.  In fact, in my household the running joke is that my husband needs an account just so he can communicate with his wife!  It started out so innocent.  I found these social networking sites as a way to reconnect with old friends and acquaintances after falling into a depression while becoming aware of my isolation and awkwardness in my new role as stay-at-home mom. 

Then like all the other "facebookers" out there I became obsessed.  Maybe it's the fact that I can inform my friends that I am, "having a tylenol day", or "looking forward to a night out with adults" and upload photos of my family in one click.  All without the hassle of sending mundane emails and clogging up inboxes.  Or it could be the comfort I find in reading the on goings of others lives; my special link to the world that is not the chaotic, hum-drum, and sometimes hilarious version of my own.  For a few minutes, ok hours, a day I get to escape into the lives of those who travel to exotic places, have full time jobs outside the home, and react to ups and downs with a different perspective.  

Maybe there should be a 12 step program.  Until then I will revel in my addiction.  

Leave a comment about your addictions, I'd love to hear them.  
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment