Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The 12 pains of Christmas

The holidays are supposed to be a time of good cheer. But inevitably it ends up being one filled with stress, anxiety and extreme moodiness.

I know it is better to give than to receive but lately I find it pure pandemonium packing up the kids and running from store to store desperate to find something, anything, that our family members (and sometimes friends) will be overjoyed to open.

Does that make me a Scrooge?

I feel horrible that I don't enjoy shopping for presents anymore. It starts out with good intentions of finding that one gift that will get you the gleeful reaction you hope to see but inevitably wind up standing in the aisle of the store, eyes glazed over wondering what the hell do I get? Meanwhile the kids are screaming, crying, running amok. It's three o'clock. Clearly beyond naptime. You're tired, hungry, fed up and looking at that to do list with the million things that STILL need to get done that day. Quite honestly it takes all the fun and happy out of the holiday.

Is it just me, or do most adults feel this way? Is this what my parents felt every Christmas?

It's like the 12 Pains of Christmas carol. I always laughed at this song but sadly it's so very true.
The constant fight for a parking space, realizing that every freaking toy needs batteries, a lot of them, and of course they aren't included. The kid screaming, "buy me something, I want candy, whaaaaa, whaaaaa." The constant phone calls for donations to charities, in-laws, making and then getting the Christmas cards out...on time. And heaven forbid you forget someone on the list out of the 60+ people you HAVE to send a card to. The struggle with the lights. Where to put them and why are they not working?

It's all a ball of laughs until it becomes your reality. But then again I guess that it part of the appeal of the song because it IS reality.

As I sit here, in my own holiday hell reality, looking at the list of things to do. Groceries. We desperately need baby food, formula, sour cream and paper towels. Not to mention the Turkey for Saturday. And plan something for lunch and dinner. I also still need presents for my sister, brother in law, in-laws, daughter, mom, etc. Plus I have to pick up all the clothes, toys, and junk around the house and put it all away so that the cleaning service can come on Friday and make our house beautiful for the 20+ people that will be here. Yet I find myself, butt on the couch, watching Dora's Christmas Carol for the 10th time this week, posting to my blog and procrastinating.

*Sigh*


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment