Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Weigh-in Wednesday

So this morning came way too early, but I did my weekly step on the scale anyway. I was not looking forward to this weeks weigh-in because I don't like to admit that I gained some weight. It's evident in my clothes getting a bit tight, my tummy looking rounder, and me just feeling bloated and big. Ugh!  I weighed in at 132.2 lbs. this morning, actually down from the 133.3 lbs. it's been for a week now. I thought I was doing so well. I've been exercising 3-5 days a week, depending on the week. I even ran 5 miles last week! Granted it was a slower 5 miles, an 11:10 pace because I was running with my neighbor, but it was a good 5 mile run. I wasn't feeling like I would puke or pass out at the end and I actually felt like I wanted to run more. Maybe 1-2 miles more. Which is amazing because 5 miles is the farthest I have ever run. Ever. It left me with a feeling that I can totally rock a 10K, which is my goal for the year.

However my knees did act up the following day. I have patellofemoral pain syndrome, more commonly known as "runner's knee." It used to be excruciatingly painful after a run. To the point that sometimes I couldn't even walk. But I have worked on strengthening my thighs through circuit training, doing my stretches, and purchasing the right shoes. As a result, I have been running pretty much pain free for over a year now. Which is truly amazing since one doctor told me that since I am flat footed I would never be able to run again. Period. End of discussion. I'll tell you right now, it is all about finding a good doctor. Our current family practice primary care physician is the one who opened my eyes and my world to the possibility of really being able to run. He diagnosed me, printed out the stretches, and pointed me towards Potomac River Running. PRR fitted me for the right shoe which turns out is for high arches and a slight pronation. Flat-footed my ass. So anyway, I have been running for over a year now (March 10th was my anniversary of getting back out there) and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. However, in light of my knee pain fair up, I think 5K's might be about all I can do and that is fine by me. I have no desire to go run a marathon, mostly because a) I am sure to get bored running that long and b) my knees would not be able to handle that much pounding into the ground. I have come to terms with my running limits. I am fine with 5K's and the occasional 10K. I only have time for a quick 2-3 mile run during the day anyway. I mean, I am a stay at home mom. I have things to do, places to go, and no time to waste. I need to make it count. Which is why I limit my daily exercise to 20-30 minutes.

So back to my original point of this post, I am concerned that my exercise routine has become too routine. My body has become accustomed to the exercises and it is no longer benefiting me in such a way as to maintain my weight. Clearly since I gained three pounds!!! Can you tell I'm trying really hard not to panic and overstress the situation? No? At least I am still under my original target weight of 135 lbs. (but barely). So, what to do? Up my intensity? I pushed myself to do level 3 of the 30 day shred two days in a row and it just about killed me. Maybe the real answer is to lay off the wine and late night snacking? Hmm. I think maybe I'll have a glass of moscato and sleep on it.

post signature
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment