Thursday, November 8, 2012

November Thankful: The 8th


Today I am thankful for the opportunity to volunteer in Sophie's classroom. Originally another mother had signed up for this day, which I wanted, but at the last minute needed to go out of town. Luckily I had walked Sophie into school this morning and was asked if I still wanted to volunteer. Of course I did! It really worked out great, because Nana is in town and able to watch Mason, so Fred could work and I could volunteer. 

Interacting with the Ducklings and seeing how things run in the classroom has been a memorable experience. It really made my day to see the smiles on the kids faces as we played monster in the dollhouse, searched for and counted out the colors of bears at the sensory table, and was served tea and various other foods in the dramatic play area. Sophie had a little bit of a hard time letting me leave in the end, but soon joined the rest of the class in the circle, singing the "go wash your hands" song before snack time. She loves to sing, a trait I am certain she gets from me. 

I was really nervous to help out in the classroom at first, you never know how the kids will react to you. It seems silly, but I care whether or not I have the approval of a classroom of three year olds. Especially a group of three year olds who interact with my daughter on a daily basis and could potentially be candidates for play-dates. I guess I had nothing to worry about though, because it was a wonderful experience and especially rewarding when I got a hug from one of the girls, for the second time this year when volunteering in the classroom. I was kneeling on the floor in the dramatic play area when she just came right up and gave me a big hug. It was so unexpected, and I got that knowing look from the teacher as she walked by, observing this interaction. My lips instinctively curled up into a smile and I melted into a puddle on the floor. To know that I have made a positive impact on a child's day really makes my day that much brighter. I walked around the rest of the day with a bounce in my step. I never noticed before, but these children, especially my own, really make a positive difference in my life as well. This is the reason I became a parent, why I love working with children, and am so incredibly thankful for everyday that I get to have moments like these. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment