Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

Photobucket
Today, we arrived at carpool to find all the teachers greeting us with Cat in the Hat hats on, and a banner in the entryway. Last year, on this day, Mason's class ate Green Eggs and Ham for snack and made their own Cat in the Hat hats.
Photobucket
(Mason, Age 4, March 2011)
This year, his class had their community helper dress-up day. They were asked the question, "If you could be a community helper when you grow up, which would it be?" This falls into the theme they are learning about for the month of February, Community Helpers, ending this week. Mason decided he would be a Construction Worker, which was perfect because two years ago my parents got him a set of tools with a belt and hard hat.
Photobucket
(Mason, Age 3, January 2010)
Good thing we still have the complete set. Some of the tools are showing the wear and tear, but it served it's purpose today. I didn't grab a picture of him this morning, but his teacher has been great about taking photos throughout the classroom, during each month, and then posting them to our classroom Shutterfly share site. This has been such a bonus for my scrapbooks, especially since we can download any image we want for FREE. And, even though I haven't been able to help out in the classroom this year, as much as I would like, this site has allowed me to experience all the things I have missed. Anyway, my point was that I am sure she took pictures of everyone in their outfits today, and will be posting those photos on the website in the next few days.

Even though Dr. Seuss' actual birthday is today, Mason's school is spreading the celebration over two days. Having finished out their February theme today, the Bears' Dr. Seuss celebration will be on Monday, where Mason is already assuming they will be eating green eggs and ham again.

"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child."

Of course you can't celebrate Dr. Seuss properly without reading to a child. The NEA sponsors Read Across America, an annual reading motivation and awareness program that is held on March 2nd. Mason's teacher has asked the class bring in their favorite Dr. Seuss book on Monday as part of the birthday celebration. I wonder which story Mason will choose. Maybe, There's a Wocket in my Pocket? Or perhaps, Wacky Wednesday? I wish we had Oh, the Places You'll Go, but I was waiting to get that for him at the end of the year--when he has his fly up ceremony at school.

In addition, Mason's school continues the Read Across America celebration for the entire month of March, giving parents the opportunity to come into the classroom and read books to the class. This was one of the highlights for me last year, sharing a few of Mason and I's favorite stories. I grew up around books, and it has fostered a love for reading (not only for myself, but also reading to and with children). So when the email was sent out, I was one of the first to sign up, and am now anxiously awaiting for my day to arrive.

I think we can all agree that Theodor Seuss Geisel, was an innovator. He made learning to read fun while imparting important life lessons at the same time. Green Eggs and Ham delivers the age old message of "don't judge a book by it's cover," while The Sneetches touches on discrimination, and The Lorax, well it's obviously about our environmental responsibility. But that's what I love so much about his books. The inspirational aspects you walk away with after reading them. Because, "it is better to know how to learn than to know." (Dr. Seuss)

So on his birthday, I leave you with a few of his inspirational quotes:

Dr. Seuss Quotes
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment