Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sophia @ 9 months

Nine months.
Wow! It is going by so fast. I know I've said this before, but it's amazing how fast they grow up before your eyes. So is it just me, or does she get cuter with every month? I just want to eat her up.

Nine months has brought with it the start of Spring. Well maybe. The weather can't seem to make up it's mind. And warm Spring days mean trips to the park and not so cranky kids or Mom because we are cooped up inside. Much to my surprise Sophie had her first experience with the swing March 9th and LOVED it! It got the official stamp of Proud Mom moment. Especially since Mason didn't enjoy the swings until he was two. She continues loving the swing each time we take her and I really enjoy pushing her. Gives us something to do while Mason runs amuck. *Isn't that head band so damn cute? Loving this 60-70 degree weather!

So I know two months ago I was screaming about how she isn't crawling yet and thinking to myself just do it already! If I have ever needed to put my foot in my mouth, that moment would be now. SHE IS GETTING INTO EVERYTHING, and moving with excellent speed. I can't sit down for a moment. Constantly running after her, steering her away from the stairs, bathroom, tiny pieces of Mason's toys and any other no-no things lying on the floor or within her ever expanding reach. It was easy to baby proof with one kid but with two; it's a losing battle.

Her explorations have given new life to old toys or should I say toys my husband was not happy about having been purchased. Such as my tweet on March 11th:


Nine months and a second child has given me a new role to add to the many I currently play. Referee. It never occurred to me that my daughter would prefer my sons toys (seeing as they are in abundance and constantly littering the floor) over her hand me down baby toys. But this is our reality. Thomas trains, matchbox cars, plastic food in a toy kitchen, whatever Mason happens to be playing with. Because really if her big brother is playing with it, it must be cool right? Mason, is not so down with this. Pushing her, dragging her, knocking her over, screaming, whining anything to get her away from his precious toys. Sharing is another ongoing battle. This usually results in either Sophie crying, us putting Mason in time out, or just a lot of yelling on our end to get it all to stop. Redirect Sophie to some other toy but she usually finds her way back. But despite this sibling rivalry (I mean who hasn't picked on their younger brother/sister it's a right of passage in childhood) they have the most adorable relationship.
One that has him racing up the stairs when he hears she is awake happily saying, "is that my girly?" or "there's my girl!" LOVE IT!! One that has Sophie smiling, giggling, and bouncing up and down, just generally happy when Mason walks into the room. One that has Mason wanting to hug and kiss her all the time. One that has her still calming down when he sings to her. One that has him running up to me in Walmart with a t-shirt or dress or outfit for Sophie and saying, "how about this one Mommy? This one is sooooo cute!" One that has Sophie getting especially excited on the swing when Mason insists he can push her all by himself. One where I look in the rearview mirror to see two small hands reaching out from their respective car seats searching for each other and holding tight.
*a close up of their adorable hand holding that has become a ritual when riding in the car these last few days.

Their relationship reiterates why I became a parent. It's also a helpful reminder when times are tough and I want to give up.

Nine months and she has developed quite a personality.
I can't help but smile when I look at her. From her funny faces to her developing flirtatious character I am totally loving the girl. Lately she has been in what I call Mommy mode. It started the other night when I handed her off to Fred to help Mason with something and she broke down into screams. And I mean SCREAMS! Reaching for me and crying till I held her again. Of course I had to tweet it and update my status on facebook.
Because with all the time I spend at home with the two of them, they both said "da-da" first and always want to go to daddy instead of me. It really makes me feel good that she only wants me now. Especially when she teases Fred. Like the other night. I was holding her then she leaned out reaching for Fred and when he reached out for her to take her, she shot around like a flash grabbing on to me giggling and smiling. I couldn't help but laugh. Even after the fourth time.
At her nine month check up she weighed 22lbs. and I was happy to learn she is back on the chart with a 92 percentile. Height, she is like 85th percentile and her head shot up to the 75th percentile! Her brain is growing. Our awesome pediatrician, have I mentioned before how lucky we are to have a pediatrician who is also our friend (well his wife and I and our kids are). Anyway, he mentioned that we could start giving her those puffies. You know the Gerber puffs that dissolve in your mouth and introduce your baby to more solid foods without the risk of them choking. After all she does have two teeth now! Yay! Excited to get her eating more solids I happily went to the grocery store and bought the veggie puffs and proceeded to feed one to her. What transpired next I have never seen or experienced before. My daughter got the most disgusted look on her face, started to gag and choke and proceeded to throw up all over me and herself. I sat their totally shocked at what just happened. In disbelief that my daughter just choked on dissolvable puffs! She since has not done much better with the dissolvable foods, but we are working on it. Note that toddlers when reintroduced to these puffs are instantly hooked for a second time. I don't know what it is about them. I've tried them and quite honestly don't blame Sophie for getting her diapers in a twist. They are pretty bland. But hey they are veggies so I let Mason indulge every once in a while. It's not like miss princess choke on dissolvable foods is gonna eat them, might as well not waste 'em.

She slowly starting to cruise around things on occasion. But no real walking just yet. In anticipation I bought her a cute baby stroller walker (since the one Mason used was halfway to broken when he was a baby). Though if given the choice we heads towards the Tow Mater walker/rider. Figures. But I'm sure she'll be taking those steps here soon. If I can get Mason to give her some space to breathe and explore.
Till then I'll be busy planning her uber cute first birthday party, fretting over the baby gate issue, continuing my role as referee and loving my baby girl while I can. Embracing and soaking up each moment she is this small. Because in reality it won't be like this for long and I will look back missing the days of sweet two teeth smiles, baby giggles and babbles, that oh so fresh baby sent and being able to hold her so close and her actually wanting to be there.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment